Types of Masters Level Training Opportunities at the Counseling Center
How to Apply
Applicants are asked to submit the following:
One page summary of interests and goals
Brief vita highlighting course work and clinical experience
Graduate Staff Application Form
If you are applying for a Practicum I position (CMHC or PsyD students), a secondary site placement (MFT students), or a field placement (Social Work students), please submit two professional references from advisors and/or previous supervisors on the reference form provided by the Counseling Center. If you are applying for a Practicum II or Externship position (CMHC or PsyD students), please submit three professional references from advisors and/or previous supervisors on the reference form provided by the Counseling Center.
Please observe the following application deadlines for the semester you would like to begin work at the Center:
Program Deadline Fall 2021
CMHC February 22, 2021
MFT March 12, 2021
MSW April 2, 2021
These dates are the formal deadlines for the application. The Center may accept and process applications after the deadline if space is available in one of the training programs. * Please note that the dates are subject to change from semester to semester. Please check with the Coordinator of Training for Master’s Level Training for the most recent deadline for the current year.
How do I know if I am a good fit for this training site?
It is strongly recommended that applicants complete the following courses prior to the start of training:
- Advanced Abnormal (aka Developmental Assessment & Diagnosis) (Preferred)
- Ethical/Legal Issues (Preferred)
* Note that if a trainee has not completed the courses listed above, supplemental material may be required prior to beginning clinical work.
- Trainees cannot receive counseling services at the Center while participating in the training.
- Trainees must attend orientation prior to the beginning of the semester. Orientation for the training site typically occurs the Friday before classes begin. Make sure you are available for this requirement.
- Trainees must attend two weekly supervision meetings (8 am on Tuesday & Thursday) throughout the semester.
- For the paid externships, be advised that in order to qualify for assistantship funding, one must be enrolled in academic hours for the semesters that you are receiving funding. Check with the graduate school if you have any questions in regard to this requirement.
- While diagnosis is not a core aspect of our training philosophy, we recognize its importance as a part of future employment for many trainees and we integrate the use of the DSM in our clinical work.
Please submit any correspondence and all applications to:
Alison Davis-Waddle, Ph.D.
Masters Level Training Coordinator
Counseling & Psychological Services Center
Miles Annas Student Services Building
If you have questions or want to arrange a special training opportunity, please contact (828) 262-3180 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org and make an appointment.