Minimum of $31,200 for August 1st to July 31st. Benefits include health insurance , vacation/holiday leave, professional leave, university library privileges, and computer access, as well as other benefits afforded to Appalachian State employees.
Interns are expected to work in the Counseling Center from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with an hour break for lunch. Therapy time spent after hours, however, may be exchanged with day-time hours. Exchange of time should be negotiated with the Training Director.
Leave time includes the following:
- 11 Holidays
- 24 Vacation/ Professional Development Days
- 12 Sick Days
The following policies govern the use of leave time:
- Work hours, holidays, and vacation days must add up to at least 2000 hours. This essentially means that any sick leave taken must be made up in work hours at another time. Sick days beyond the limit must be taken as vacation days.
- Vacation used for professional development consists of days required for conference/workshop attendance, dissertation meetings, and job interviews.
- Interns are encouraged to use vacation time when classes are not in session (i.e., Fall, Winter, and Spring Breaks, breaks between semesters), and to minimize time taken off when classes are in session (during Fall and Spring semesters), in order to minimize impact on clients and other staff.
- Sick days are taken when interns or their immediate families are sick or seeking medical treatment (either emergency or a regular doctor’s appointment). Sick days may also be taken for things such as attendance of funerals. Questions about appropriate use of sick leave should be addressed to the Training Director.
- Interns are strongly urged to save 3-5 vacation days for the last week of internship to cover needed leave time if they get sick or need professional development days during the summer. If leave days are taken above the limit, the intern may be required to extend the internship beyond July 31 to make up these days.
- Vacation, including that designated for professional development, must be approved by the Training Director at least two weeks in advance by submitting an email request to the Training Director. If leave time is not properly requested, it may be denied.
- Interns are urged to examine their schedules prior to requesting leave when school is in session. It is possible to miss the same day of the week, several weeks in a row, using various types of leave. This can result in inadequate treatment of clients, unfairness to other staff, or a compromise in the integrity of the training program. Leave requests that adversely affect others will not be honored.