When to Refer for further Assistance
Some signs that suggest problems for which the student should be referred for assessment are if the student:
- Manifests a change in personality (goes from being actively involved to quiet and withdrawn, or goes from being quiet to more agitated or demanding).
- Begins to display aggressive or abusive behavior to self or others; exhibits excessive risk-taking.
- Shows signs of memory loss.
- Shows loose or incoherent thought patterns, has difficulty focusing thoughts, or displays nonsensical conversation patterns.
- Exhibits behaviors or emotions that are inappropriate to the situation.
- Displays extreme suspiciousness or irrational fears of persecution, believes they are being watched or followed, etc.
- Withdraws, not allowing others to be close.
- Exhibits signs of hyperactivity (unable to sit still, difficulty maintaining focus, gives the impression of going "too fast," appears agitated).
- Shows signs of depression (no visible emotions or feelings, appears lethargic, loses weight, looks exhausted and complains of sleeping poorly, displays feelings of worthlessness or self-hatred, or is apathetic about previous interests).
- Talks about unusual patterns of eating, not eating, or excessively eating.
- Shows signs of injury to self, cuts, bruises, or sprains.
- Experiences deteriorating academic performance (incapacitating test anxiety, sporadic class attendance, or extended absences from class).
- Begins or increases alcohol or other drug use.
- Makes statements regarding suicide, homicide, feelings of hopelessness, or helplessness.
The Counseling Center offers after-hours emergency coverage for urgent mental health concerns such as suicidal thoughts, sexual assault, and other trauma. Call the Counseling Center at 828-262-3180 and select the option to speak with the counselor on-call.
During operating hours, students in crisis can walk in any time.
1st Floor, Miles Annas Building
614 Howard Street
Boone, NC 28608-2044
P.O. Box 32044
Boone, NC 28608
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m
Initial Consultation Hours:
Monday - Friday:
8:30-11:00 a.m. & 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Please Note -
During Summer Sessions, Initial Consultation Hours at times may vary. Please contact us at (828) 262-3180 for our current schedule and to verify availability.