Stipend and Benefits
Stipend: Minimum of $23,660 for August 1, 2016 to July 31, 2017. Benefits include health insurance, vacation/holiday leave, professional leave, funds for conference attendance, university library privileges, and computer access.
Scheduling: Interns are expected to work in the Counseling Center from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with an hour break for lunch. Therapy time spent after hours, however, may be exchanged with day-time hours. Exchange of time should be negotiated with the Training Director.
Leave Time: Leave time includes the following: 11 Days Holidays 24 Days Vacation/ Professional Development 12 Days Sick
The following policies govern the use of leave time:
- Work hours, holidays, and professional development days must add up to at least 2000 hours. This essentially means that any sick leave taken must be made up in work hours at another time. Typically, interns have many weeks when they work more than 40 hours. These extra hours help to compensate for sick leave that is taken.
- Sick days beyond the limit, must be taken as vacation days.
- Vacation used for professional development consists of days required for conference/workshop attendance, dissertation meetings, and job interviews.
- No more than one vacation day during Fall semester and one vacation day during Spring semester may be taken except those designated for professional development. All other vacation days must be taken during university breaks and summer sessions.
- Interns are strongly urged to save 3-5 vacation days for the last week of internship to cover needed leave time if they get sick or need professional development days during the summer. If leave days are taken above the limit, the intern will be required to extend the internship beyond July 31 to make up these days.
- Vacation and professional development days must be approved by both the Training Director and the Director at least two weeks in advance by submitting a completed Leave Request Form to the Training Director. This form is only complete if it has the signatures of both the Training Director and the Director. If leave time is not properly requested, it may not be taken, regardless of how much money might have been spent on a plane ticket or other travel arrangements.
- Interns are urged to examine their schedules prior to requesting leave when school is in session. It is possible to miss the same day of the week, several weeks in a row, using various types of leave. This however, can result in inadequate treatment of clients, unfairness to other staff, or a compromise in the integrity of the training program. Leave requests that adversely affect others will not be honored.
The Counseling Center offers after-hours emergency coverage for urgent mental health concerns such as suicidal thoughts, sexual assault, and other trauma. Call the Counseling Center at 828-262-3180 and select the option to speak with the counselor on-call.
During operating hours, students in crisis can walk in any time.
1st Floor, Miles Annas Building
614 Howard Street
Boone, NC 28608-2044
P.O. Box 32044
Boone, NC 28608
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m
Initial Consultation Hours:
Monday - Friday:
8:30-11:00 a.m. & 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Please Note -
During Summer Sessions, Initial Consultation Hours at times may vary. Please contact us at (828) 262-3180 for our current schedule and to verify availability.