When might counseling services be recommended
The following are some signs and symptoms that might suggest that your student could benefit from a referral to our services, particularly if they occur on a repeated basis within a short period of time:
- A sudden drop in academic performance
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping/remaining in bed more than usual
- Feeling sad, appearing tearful frequently
- Social isolation or withdrawal from friends or activities that used to seem enjoyable
- Expressions of hopelessness, “There’s no point in even trying,” “Nothing matters”
- Statements about death or suicide, “I wish I were dead,” “You would be better off without me”
- Avoidance of situations (not going to class, not contacting you as frequently)
- Increased irritability or restlessness
- Paranoid thinking or unusual/bizarre behavior
- Increased substance abuse
The Counseling Center offers after-hours emergency coverage for urgent mental health concerns such as suicidal thoughts, sexual assault, and other trauma. Call the Counseling Center at 828-262-3180 and select the option to speak with the counselor on-call.
During operating hours, students in crisis can walk in any time.
1st Floor, Miles Annas Building
614 Howard Street
Boone, NC 28608-2044
P.O. Box 32044
Boone, NC 28608
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m
Initial Consultation Hours:
Monday - Friday:
8:30-11:00 a.m. & 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Please Note -
During Summer Sessions, Initial Consultation Hours at times may vary. Please contact us at (828) 262-3180 for our current schedule and to verify availability.